About my style
I’m the kind of wedding photographer that believes that the most important thing of a wedding is that you enjoy yourselves and have the most epic day possible. I wouldn’t dream of bothering you with posing while you’re cutting the cake and stuffing a piece of cake into each others mouths.
For me the photo session part of a wedding is a moment where you two can have a bit of down time and I’ll do my best to create memories. This means I might give you a little assignment like doing a little dance or whisper something in each others ear, but I’m not interested in creating a forced smile and an uncomfortable pose.
I’d really love to shoot your destination wedding or elopement as I’m addicted to travel (I mean I even used to go on road trips with my dad, that would take me to the UK for just 2 hours) but I love traveling to photograph awesome couples at all kinds of places in the world even more. I mean a nice mountain landscape in Austria, the Amalfi coast or a beautiful castle in England is all swell and stuff but it’s not half as good as placing a loving and fun-loving couple within that frame. If this sounds like a plan to you, let me know!
About the company
‘Wit’ is Dutch for white, it was also the name of the blog I used to write and it’s something that makes sense in both English and Dutch (unlike Renate van Dijk ;) which is my actual name).
I don’t feel like I work alone, I have wonderful Rachel who helps me with all basic editing, I work closely with an awesome album company, where Marcin and his team work their magic to make amazing, handmade, fine art wedding albums and then there’s a pool of photography assistants and second shooters that I love working with on the wedding day itself. So I or my office assistant Katja will often talk about ‘us’ on our website or social media. However, I will be the one getting to know you and your wedding plans and I will be the one shooting your wedding.
Random facts about me
● I live next to the dunes and beach in Scheveningen (in The Hague) with my boyfriend. I also often stay at the bank of the Danube in Novi Sad and close to the bank of the Thames in London.
● I try to leave The Netherlands at least once a month, but I always bring my own pillow with me.
● I’m a major musical theatre geek (Yay to Stephen Sondheim, nay to anything with the dept of a soup plate. That’s probably a Dutch expression but I’m guessing you’ll sorta know what I mean) and I used to work as a dramaturg in musical theatre.
● I like silly card games like Cards against Humanity and Ultimate Werewolf (in Dutch “Weerwolven van Wakkerdam”).
● Storytelling is in my veins; As a child I drew a storybook, filled with the adventures of two little bears. I “read” the stories to my mother before I went to sleep. Later in life I studied Photographic Studies, Theatre Studies and Musicology as well as Singing (Jazz and Musical Theatre at Bath Spa Uni in England) and Language & Cultural Studies (Utrecht University).
● I’ve been a vegetarian since I was 9. I’m not really a big animal lover though, I just feel uncomfortable with eating other living creatures.
● I’m an Anglophile. If it wasn’t for my boyfriend I would move to Bath, Cornwall or Kent in a heartbeat (in fact I have actually lived in Bath, when I studied musical theatre singing at Bath Spa about a decade ago).
● My favorite drink is Twinings English Breakfast tea (with (almond)milk of course), although I do love a Pimm’s with Lemonade or a glass of Prosecco too.
● The Sound of Music has been my favorite movie for as long as I or even my mum and dad can remember, I love it for completely different reasons nowadays but honestly people that movie has got everything! (a good story, legendary and pretty inventive music, a second world war storyline, a happy ending, breathtaking scenery and one of the worlds best singers ever (yes, I mean Julie Andrews as Christopher Plummer was actually dubbed for the singing parts).
● I can watch Friends, How I met your mother, Harry Potter and Castle over and over and over again.
● My birth certificate says I’m Dutch but I detest licorice, can’t ride a bike, have never smoked weed, have never been a socialist, tulips are probably my least favorite flowers ever and I definitely do not eat herring.
● Last October an English couple currently living in France asked me (each of them on a separate occasion) from which part in the US I came from. Although I find it hard to believe anyone would think of me as a native English speaker, it might have been the greatest compliment I ever received.
● My favorite things in the world: my boyfriend, my dad, my two best friends, traveling, musicals, period dramas, detectives (as long as they’re not too scary or graphic, I love Scandal, Rizzoli & Isles, Sherlock and Castle), destination weddings, fresh artichokes, victorian greenhouses, art nouveau, anemones, protea and ranunculus, Agatha Christie, misty mountains, really good macarons (like from Ladurée or Sugarlips), Noa Noa, Apple, live music, any song by Postmodern Jukebox, swing jazz, Queen’s “Don’t Stop Me Now”, watermelon, sunsets, vegetarian food, libertarianism, honesty, kindness and Harry Potter.
Features and other yay moments
I never participate in contests, even so I do have a bit of fame to my name: International wedding website Zankyou Weddings named me 1 of the 25 best wedding photographers, I was nominated for the VIVA400 award 2016 in the ‘creatives’ category and a year earlier I was shortlisted with the 3 last nominees for the ‘Creative entrepreneur of the year’ Award. I have been shooting weddings since 2013 and am a full-time wedding photographer (occasionally I do shoot other events, theater or lifestyle sessions). I’ve shot weddings, events and editorials all over Europe from Iceland to Greece and from Europe’s highest mountain plateau (the Hardangervidda) in Norway to the Ourika Valley in Morocco. After several requests I now teach other photographers to educate them about everything involved with destination weddings. My work has been featured on/in Rock My Wedding, Zankyou Weddings, the most popular Dutch bridal magazine Bruid & Bruidegom Magazine, Wedding Chicks, Fly Away Bride, B.loved, Festival Brides, Stroom Magazine, publications by COC Nederland, the cover of Engaged’s Little Black Book, publications by Verkeersbureaus, MSN.com, Holland’s biggest wedding website ThePerfectWedding.nl, Wedspiration, Trouwplannen.nl, a billboard next to a highway between Den Bosch and Tilburg, Norwegian Wedding Magazine, SBS6 Shownieuws (Dutch national television), Libelle Magazine, Weekend Magazine, Bajan Wed, Dusty Blue, Plans & Presents, GirlsOfHonour.nl, TheWeddingBlog.be and Beau Monde Glamour Magazine.